2.21.2007

Omelettes and Methamphetamines



This morning wasn't looking to be a good day. I over cooked my eggs to start with. I should have stayed with my tried and true, two eggs over medium, but I went with the omelette instead. I'm actually really good at the over medium. Based on my experience ordering them at dining establishments, better than most people working a griddle out there. Omelets I've never done as well with though.

Anyway, the point is I wasn't happy with my breakfast. And then the group emails started coming in about the linguistics exam next week, almost as if we didn't have a TA meeting yesterday to figure that out. Then there was the call alerting me that Wendy might have died, which she knows she's not supposed to do. I had actually been worried about this already, so I had to make quick use of the telephone. Having satisfied myself that she wasn't dead, I went to 101 lecture to do the crossword. That's pretty much what I do every Monday and Wednesday at 12:05, and because it's only mon. and wed. I usually do pretty well on the crosswords. Not today. I think I filled in about 5 clues, 2 of which I would later realize were wrong. This was the low point of February 21st, 2007 (Yesterday's low point occurred sometime around 8:00 PM Central Time as UW completed their loss to Michigan State).

Discouraged, I gave up on the crossword, turned to the front page, and read this. It lifted my spirits. Thank god I'm not smoking meth with the whores down the hallway. Oh, and later I finished the crossword. The watershed moment being:

Clue #20A: Slangy question from a benefactor, maybe
(
whos your daddy)

Quickly followed by:
Clue #36A: 1964 party song by Manfred Mann
(do
wah diddy diddy)
and
Clue #50A: Stuffy sort
(old
fuddy duddy)

Once you get those long 3 the rest just fall into place, although I will admit that the iliac artery did throw me for a loop at first. Darcy, I'll assume you would have known this and award you 1 point.

No comments: