2.26.2007

Heavy, wet snow.


There is nothing better to build a snowball than heavy wet snow. But we'll come back to that. First we need to talk about the Text Message War currently being waged in WI.

It started last Wednesday night. The 21st of February. Mine was the first offensive move, a discrete text from a friend's phone sent without their knowledge. The content simple, 'I like you', the genius laid in the recipient. The blow back came Saturday during the send off of Rosemblat. A text came in from joanna reminiscing about my walk (and other, more personal things). Soon she was reading that I LIKE HER ALOT. Unfortunately for my adversary, that's actually true. And yes, in that way. What I was not counting on was an "I like you" texted several hours later, to a much more vulnerable target. It has yet to be determined what the long term effects of this latest "I like you" will be.

But back to the snow, and the snowballs. Close your eyes and imagine with me... It's 2:15 AM on a Sunday in Madison, WI. The city is in the middle of a blizzard. The roads are non-functional, the buses are not running, and it's bar time. The influx of warm, intoxicated bodies onto the street quickly results in an all out snowball fight between the two sides of State St. And what a fight it was. Now, I've been a part of some fairly large snow offensives in my time; Germantown is a tough neighborhood, not to mention the intensity of Scoggins' Ball, but this was of a new order. The perfect conditions of heavy, wet snow combined with a surfeit of enthusiastic participants produced the best snowball fight I can remember. I lost feeling in my hands on at least 3 occasions, nailed numerous targets (plus a bunch of defenseless girls), and took out 1 street light. That's a good Saturday night.

3 comments:

DarcyM said...

so wait... who got the text back? not you? your plan backfired? the lady you were trying to mack thought it was someone else? you didn't win? i don't understand how something like this could happen. please enlighten me while telling me i am stupid. It is my favorite game.

Wj said...

Ok, some of this 'I like you' text part is a bit unclear. Use your words, Barnebey.

I recall when someone used your phone to send a text to me that said 'I hate you.' I was not amused, because clearly that's not true, and why would you let some beat Jersey-type drunk have your phone. I'm glad we cleared up that misunderstanding.

Jobonga said...

Your text message was a warm spot of a cold, margarita-strewn night, even if you didn't send it. I know you meant it anyway. Look, I'm reading your blog, even as my job buries me alive.