12.14.2007

It's 5:00 AM, Why am I Awake?

Anyone who ever spent a night at my little State St. apartment last year will remember its one major draw back: diesel. the Charlie's delivery truck would typically show up around 11:00 PM nightly; Chipotle on the other hand usually got early AM deliveries, sometime around 6:30 or 7:00. Then there were the deliveries for Wallgreen's, Fudrucker's, The City, and every other store down there that I never figured out the schedule for. And of course there were the 4, 6, and 82 buses which drove right outside my window from 5:00 AM to 3:00 AM, on a (pseudo-)half hour schedule. Anyway, the point is I very often slept with earplugs in in that apartment. I got so used to it that sometimes I'd wake up in the morning with them in and not even remember inserting them. Of course I had a bag of plugs for anyone who was staying over. (Interesting note: I saw the guy get shot on State St. last year because I couldn't find the earplugs I kept by my bed and had to get up to find more.)

Well, we do have a bus line that goes by our apartment this year, but I haven't used my plugs since mid-August sometime. None-the-less, they've been sitting faithfully by my bed for months. Tonight I wish I had remembered them. Starting around 11:00 the city began removing snow from Monroe St. Not plowing, removing. With large front-loaders. That beep whenever they back up. And run on diesel. Finally a little before 5:00 I grabbed my earplugs from the windowsill, warmed them in my fat little hands, and stuck them in. Unfortunately, it was too late for me. So I got up and wrote this blog.

5 comments:

Thomas said...

awhh, poor howard.
I slept like a drunk baby.

DarcyM said...

Tommy. Don't you have work today? Don't you think you might want to become a responsible adult at some point?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm working right now. It's kind of like The Office/Office Space around here. I'm 10 years younger and much cooler than everyone else. And nobody does anything anyways. So I don't feel bad. I just wish there was a Pam for me to discuss the pointlessness of all of this with. Plus the sexual tension. I really need more of that.

Plus, I'm way ahead on my grad school applications, so I can't work on those for 4 hours a day. Sometimes I wish I weren't such an overachiever.

DarcyM said...

Alright, I guess its alright then.

Anonymous said...

thanks, mom.